Sunday, May 6, 2012

Vintage Advertising & Groceries from the Past

As part of my visual research it was suggested by my supervisor that I have a look at some vintage advertising posters and print ads to get a sense of the colours and styles that were popular in the 1930s-1960s. As I am making the background pivotal in progressing narrative it is vital that they are detailed and are able to capture a particular moment in history through colour and design.

The idea will be to capture the essence of these posters not simply copy them- this is the same kind of approach I have taken in creating objects of significance wherein I tabulated a small sample of objects from the period and then came up with common design features that then enable me to create my own version of a particular object rather than simply choosing a cup and copying it verbatim.

Once again I have used Pinterest as a means of pin-boarding the pictures thus giving me an overall impact of the common design and colour choices that typify advertisements and products from a bygone era. The photos were taken from a variety of sources including antique centres, eBay, Etsy, the Australian Museum and collectors of Australian advertising memorabilia.







The analysis of this collection is to follow shortly and will include a palette study and design features list that will assist me when creating the background details and become a part of my visual reference library.

No comments:

Post a Comment