Tuesday, August 7, 2012

SIGGRAPH: Day 4

One of the unexpected aspects of SIGGRAPH was the inclusion of a gallery that showcased artworks based upon technology either in process or aesthetics. I had a couple of shifts in the gallery which required me to talk to the artists about their pieces and then explain or demonstrate those pieces as attendees wandered through the gallery.

The first piece I demonstrated was a tactile artwork consisting of heat sensitive colour changing material. Designed to be a public art piece in places where people have to wait for a period of time, the idea was that as you held your hands over the material a series of web-like lines would trace across the fabric and connect with others who also had their hands on the material. There were heat pads under certain parts of the fabric to help heat retention and the artist explained there heat conducting elements sewn into the fabric itself. Artists are Eszter Ozsvald and Kart Ojavee and the work is entitled, Symbiosis O. To see it in action see the work on Vimeo here

My hand print




The second piece I worked with was a lovely juxtaposition to all the high tech gadgets and technology. Entitled 'Shadow-play' the artwork was essentially a large scale magic lantern that was wind powered and designed to tell the story of modernisation and urban living. The piece was very popular and I think people really enjoyed the simplistic appearance of the piece but appreciated the complexity that would have gone into such a throwback to animation history.

Wind powered turbine at the top

2 Layers both laser cut acrylic 

The projected image moved by the cogs

Even the light was wind powered

Artist information

During my gallery shift I took a short break and dashed into the exhibition hall (opened that morning) to pick up an appointment card to have my folio reviewed by Walt Disney Animation Studios as part of the job fair also included as part of the conference. 

My afternoon shift saw me on a help and directions desk for 4 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment